Sweet Potato & Black Bean Chili
Make a double batch of this quick vegetarian chili, full of black beans and sweet potatoes, and eat it for lunch the next day or freeze the extras for another night. We love the smoky heat from the ground chipotle, but omit it if you prefer a mild chili. Serve with tortilla chips or cornbread and coleslaw.
- 1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium-large sweet potato, peeled and diced
- 1 large onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 4 teaspoons ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon ground chipotle Chile (see Note)
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2½ cups water
- 2 15-ounce cans black beans, rinsed
- 1 14-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 4 teaspoons lime juice
- ½ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add sweet potato and onion and cook, stirring often, until the onion is beginning to soften, about 4 minutes. Add garlic, chili powder, cumin, chipotle and salt and cook, stirring constantly, for 30 seconds. Add water and bring to a simmer. Cover, reduce heat to maintain a gentle simmer and cook until the sweet potato is tender, 10 to 12 minutes.
- Add beans, tomatoes and lime juice; increase heat to high and return to a simmer, stirring often. Reduce heat and simmer until slightly reduced, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in cilantro.
Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 3 months.
Note: Chipotle peppers are dried, smoked jalapeño peppers. Ground chipotle Chile pepper can be found in the spice section of most supermarkets or online at penzeys.com.
- Serving size: about 2 cups
- Per serving: 323 calories; 8 g fat(1 g sat); 16 g fiber; 55 g carbohydrates; 13 g protein; 118 mcg folate; 0 mg cholesterol; 13 g sugars; 0 g added sugars; 12,409 IU vitamin A; 24 mg vitamin C; 163 mg calcium; 5 mg iron; 573 mg sodium; 1,072 mg potassium
- Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (248% daily value), Vitamin C (40% dv), Folate (30% dv), Iron (28% dv)
- Carbohydrate Servings: 3½
- Exchanges: 3 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 lean meat